GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Contractor Administrator II—Budget Specialist: Clinical Research has primary responsibility for supporting the UMass Center for Clinical and Translational Science Office of Clinical Research, departments and study teams for issues related to clinical research funding agreements, focusing on clinical research budgeting and patient care service price support for human research.
The Budget Specialist primarily serves as an institutional resource relating to clinical research patient care costs and institutional requirements and expectations associated with clinical research budgets and serves as the primary negotiation point of contact for budget negotiation with non-federal sponsors. The Budget Specialist works closely with departments, study teams and UMass Medical School’s clinical partners and coordinates activities/works closely with units within the Medical School such as Research Funding Services, Office of Technology Management, Departmental Administrators, study team members and Investigators.
The Budget Specialist also serves as subject matter expert, UMMS resource and super user for the Clinical Trial Management System and administrator for OCR contract management database.
SPECIFIC MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES- BUDGET SPECIALIST:
- Represents UMass Medical School to Industry and non-federal sponsors in negotiation of clinical funding agreements;
- Provides information about institutional positions, policies and requirements to funders as well as study teams/Investigators;
- Coordinates with Contract Administrator II—Terms Specialist, Contract Administrator III and department/study team on negotiation of budget terms for associated agreements and provides cross-coverage to Contract Administrator II and III as necessary;
- Monitor negotiation timelines and work with Investigators, Departments and Study Teams to support expedited study initiation and keeps Principal Investigators, Department Administrators, Study Team and team members apprised of potential roadblocks and substantive contracting or budget negotiation issues;
- Serves as primary resource to study teams for pre-award/financial assessment activities for clinical research including collaboration with study teams and departmental contacts to support appropriate budget development for clinical research, to clinical research budgets and patient care pricing, ensuring that study teams have complete, accurate information to perform a financial feasibility assessment or to ensure all incurred costs (institutional and patient care) are addressed;
- Provides support and advice to departments and study teams on unusual post-award financial management responsibilities and requirements in research agreements as applicable;
- Support maintenance of the Charge Master in OnCore, including updates and responses to queries;
- Meets regularly with study team/department Provide assistance to clinical research budgets, tracks and negotiates agreements and amendments in accordance in a timely manner; reviewing for accuracy, completeness and adherence to institutional positions, requirements and policy as well as applicable state, federal and other law or regulation;
- Collaborates with billing and reimbursement experts at UMMS clinical partners to streamline and enhance accuracy of patient care service pricing to assist departments/study teams.
- Prepares final documents for final review and execution by institutional signatory;
- Provides education and guidance to departments regarding budget requirements for research involving a human component, participates in pre-award training and educational outreach initiatives to faculty and UMMS staff. Assists in preparation of institutional training materials and presentations;
- Support project setup;
- Support coordination between pre-award and post-award financial management needs;
- Assist with the development and maintenance of all assigned written departmental policies and operating procedures.
- Recommend and implement process enhancement recommendations to support expedited project startup;
- Assist with web page content development and maintenance as assigned.